• Rutland Downtown Farmers Market, Saturdays from 9am-2pm and Tuesdays 3-6pmm rain or shine at Depot Park, in front of Walmart.
• Fair Haven Farmers Market, Fridays from 3-6pm, rain or shine. On the green downtown Fair Haven, VT.
• West Rutland Library Weekly Story Time Tuesdays at 10am starting September 30. Bring your young children to enjoy stories and crafts. Info: 438-2964.
• Rutland Area Toastmasters meets the first and third Tuesday nights of each month from 6:00 - 7:30pm at the Rutland High School, 22 Stratton Road, Rutland, VT. Enter at the front, turn left and enter the Red hallway. We meet in the third room on your right - Room 16.
• Halloween Events:
Bertrand Farms Terror in the Fields, US Route 7, Pittsford - October 24, 25, 31. Haunted hayrides, Haunted corn maze, and delicious local goodies. Daytime corn maze and hayrides each weekend.
Terrorealm! Dementia Asylum and DeadnBerry Mortuary at Wilson Castle, Proctor - October 24, 25. Two Haunted Houses at one location!
Pittsford Fire Department Haunted House at Plains Road, Pittsford - October 24, 25. Be sure to stop for entertainment, baked goods and good scares!
Back to top
• Maple Leaf Quilters Guild Workshop, teacher Pamela Weeks of the New England Quilt Museum, Lowell MA. Tuesday, October 22 9am-3:30pm at Leahy Center, Rutland Regional Medical Center, Rutland, VT. $45 for MLQ members, $50 for non-members. Pre-registration is needed. Email Nancy Bart, email@example.com or call 1-802-247-8221. Info: www.mapleleafquilters.org and www.pamweeksquilts.com
• Clarendon Volunteer Fire Auxiliary Grocery Bingo on Friday, October 24, at the Clarendon elementary school off Moulton Avenue. Doors open at 6pm and Bingo starts at 7pm. Refreshments.
• Jamie Lee Thurston, a Vermont native, now living in Nashville, is coming home to put on a concert at the Paramount Theater in Rutland to benefit Prevent Child Abuse Vermont. The Concert is on October 24 at 8:00 pm. Jamie Lee loves children and believes that all children deserve a safe, happy, nurturing, healthy childhood.
• Osher Event, Friday October 24 at 1:30pm. Preservationist, Linda Fitch, will give a lecture on The Oldest Reef, the Chazzy Fossil Reef on Isle La Motte at the Godnick Center, 1 Deer St. $5 or OLLI membership. Call 446-2041 for information.
October 24 & 25
• Wells United Methodist Church Fall Rummage Sale on the village green, Route 30, Wells, VT, Friday October 24, 1pm to 7pm and Saturday October 25, 9am to 12pm. Something for everyone; fall and winter clothes, shoes, accessories, flea items, knickknacks, books, household items. $3 bag sale on Saturday. Drop off items from Monday October 20 – Wednesday October 22 between 9am and noon. Info 802 645-0804.
• Basket Raffle at Danby-Mt Tabor Fire Department, October 25. Doors open at 11am, drawing begins at 1pm. Must attend to win. $5 for first ticket, $2 for each additional. 25 chance to win on each ticket. If you would like to donate a theme basket or make a donation please contact Rosalie Bus 802 293-6312 between 4-8pm.
• Slate Valley Community monthly breakfast, Saturday, October 25 8-10am at the Poultney United Methodist Church on Main Street. Delicious breakfast of scrambled eggs, sausage, homemade biscuits, jams, juice, tea and hot chocolate. Adults $1, children under 15 free. Handicapped accessible. Everyone is welcome to attend. Take-outs available.
• Fundraiser for Anna Boyd, Saturday, Rummage/Bake Sale with raffle items. October 25, 9am – 3pm at Immaculate Heart of Mary, St. Ann’s Hall. Anna suffers from stage 3 invasive aggressive triple negative ductal carcinoma breast cancer. Treatable but not curable. Started chemotherapy September 5 in hopes of remission.
• Annual ham dinner of Starksboro Village Meeting House Society, Saturday, October 25, at 5pm at the First Baptist Church in Starksboro village. Delicious baked ham, vegetables (mashed potatoes, winter squash, and cole slaw), homemade baked beans, rolls, homemade pies, and beverages. $10 for adults and $5 for children under 12. Family ticket of $25 for two adults and two children, with additional children at $3.00 each. Reservations suggested. Take-outs can be accommodated. Call 453-5227 or 2079 to reserve your places. The venue is on VT Route 116 in Starksboro village.
• Brandon United Methodist Church Annual Turkey Dinner. Saturday, October 25 starting at 4:30pm. Turkey with all the fixings, beverage and dessert. Adults $10, Children under 12 $5, under age 6 free. Takeout available. Church is handicap accessible. Serving 4:30 to 6:30pm.
Back to top
• Adirondack Bluegrass League Show featuring Zink & Company and Out Of The Bluegrass. Sunday, October 26, at 2pm at Mollie’s Mason Jar, 13 Park Avenue Ext, Hadley, New York. Members $10. Non-members $12. Children under 12, and special needs, free. Info: www.adirondackblue
• American Legion Auxiliary Rutland Unit #31 monthly meeting, Monday October 27. E-board meets 5pm. Dinner 6pm. Regular meeting 7pm.
• College of St. Joseph trick or treat event from noon to 6 p.m. Wednesday, October 29, beginning at St. Joseph Hall on the CSJ campus. This event gives families the opportunity to bring costumed-children (supervised by an adult) to a safe environment where they can collect treats and show off their costumes. Maps will be given to participants at the door. This event is free and open to the public. CSJ is located at 71 Clement Road in Rutland.
• The Southwest Freedom Riders monthly meeting at 7pm on Thursday, October 30, at Denny's Restaurant (361 Main St., (Rte. 7) Rutland, VT). Guests and new members welcome! For more information: 1-888-299-SWFR."
• Hauntingly Healthy Halloween, Friday, October 31, 10-11am, 2nd floor conference room, Asa Bloomer building. Looking for something fun to do this Halloween with your little monster? Join your WIC nutritionist Jill in celebrating Halloween with some hauntingly healthy snack ideas. Learn about pizza mummies, goblin grins, and edible eyes. Everyone is encouraged to come in costume. We’ll start our celebration with music and movement followed by creating monster treats that may be sampled! Call Jill 786-5111 to sign up.
• “Keep the Image Alive”, Donny “Elvis” Romines, Elvis impersonator, dinner and show, Saturday November 1 at Castleton American Legion Post 50, 378 Rt 4A West, Castleton, VT. Dinner 5 – 7pm, roast pork with all the fixings. Show at 7:30pm. $25 per person, $40 per couple. Get tickets early, sell out expected. Deadline to purchase October 28, 20143. To benefit post Commander project.
• Harvest Dinner, November 1, 4:30 – 6pm at Immaculate Heart of Mary Church, 18 Lincoln Ave., Rutland, VT. Grilled herb rubbed loin of pork, Grandma’s chicken with biscuits, savory mashed potato, green beans, old-fashioned cole slaw, applesauce, dessert and coffee. Take-out available. Adult $10, age 6-12 $5, 5 and under free.
• Christmas Present Bingo, November 2 at Maple Valley Grange South Wallingford, VT. All regular games winners will win a wrapped Christmas present Of Their Picking. Jackpot cover-all winner receives a special prize. Special payout at ½ money taken in. Advance tickets $20 (till Nov 1) at event $25 if available. Only seating for 56 people will be sold. 50/50 Raffle, small basket party table. Info: Beth 802-342-6070, Marie 802-446-2163.
Back to top